If you’re coming from outside the United States, fly into one of the New York City area’s major airports.
- MTA New York Subway. Get your subway ticket at the station. The ticket comes in 7 days and 30 days unlimited or pay per ride $2.75; valid for subways and busses.
- Hop on hop off bus
Boroughs and Neighborhoods:
“New York is a city of five boroughs—Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island—the City derives its personality from hundreds of small communities whose cultures make them feel like cities of their own,”according to NYCGO
It’s only the greatest city in the world. Neighborhood guides for Manhattan:
- East Village
- Greenwich Village
- Hell’s Kitchen
- Lower East Side
- Little Italy
- Meatpacking District
- Washington Heights
- West Village
- Upper East Side
- Times Square
- Wall Street
“The Bronx as the home of the New York Yankees, the Bronx Zoo and the New York Botanical Garden—not to mention as the birthplace of hip-hop,” according to NYCGO
The borough is made up out of many cultural enclaves that offer authentic shops, restaurants and festivals.
- Brooklyn Bridge, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Plan for walking across using this Free Tours by Foot guide.
- DUMBO, a neighborhood whose name is an acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.
- Explore Williamsburg. The Brooklyn neighborhood, which extends roughly from the East River to Bushwick Avenue, bounded by McCarren Park to the north and Flushing to the south.
It’s just a ferry ride away
Long-term Stay Recommendation
Apps for hotel deals
Long-term Facebook communities
- Gypsy Housing Brooklyn
- NYC Manhattan – Housing, Rooms, Apartments, Sublets, Roommates, New York
- New York University (NYU) Housing, Sublets & Roommates
- Lowongan kerja di New York – Specific for Indonesian community
Free or pay-as-you-wish admission Museums
NYC is the greatest city in the world, but it is known to be expensive. There’s no reason to panic, because there are many free things to do here.
List of free or pay-as-you-wish admission. Please check each website to confirm the dates.
- 9/11 Memorial Museum, Manhattan
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn
- Bronx Zoo, Bronx
- Museum of Jewish Heritage, Manhattan
- New York Botanical Garden, Bronx
- Brooklyn Children’s Museum, Brooklyn
- China Institute, Manhattan
- International Center of Photography, Manhattan
- Museum of Arts and Design, Manhattan
- Museum of Chinese in America, Manhattan
- Japan Society, Manhattan
- Morgan Library & Museum, Manhattan
- Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), Manhattan
- Neue Galerie, Manhattan
- New-York Historical Society, Manhattan
- New York Aquarium, Brooklyn
- New York Hall of Science, Queens
- Rubin Museum of Art, Manhattan
Finding a job as an expat in New York City
The job hunt in New York City is overwhelming — and you’re not alone. Although there’s no blueprint for landing a job, there are things you can do to better set yourself up to stand out to recruiters, and find and land a job that suits you.
Use the coworking app Croissant, to find and try new coworking space everyday.
Professional Tourism Networking Communities
These global communities focused on connecting travel leaders, innovators and creatives to collaborate and share ideas.
Student and Fresh Grads